PMS / PMT
Thankfully herbal help is at hand! An imbalance in hormone levels causes undesirable changes in moods, behaviour and physical symptoms.
However, every woman will have her own individual response to these hormonal imbalances. For example some women may experience PMS symptoms such as
- Mood swings and irritability, anger and frustration
- Irregular periods (when stressed)
- Prone to premenstrual headaches or migraines
- Prone to digestive symptoms such as excessive
- bloating, discomfort, flatulence
- Shoulder and neck pain
For women who experience these symptoms, they may find relief from herbal remedies that contain Bupleurum and Paeonia.
Bupleurum: Bupleurum falcatum may help to relieve menstrual irregularity related to stress. It has a mild sedative action, helping with emotional instability and mood swings.
Paeonia: Paeonia lactiflora (white peony) is commonly used for women’s disorders, regulating the menstrual cycle and reducing PMS symptoms.
Other women may experience PMS symptoms such as
- Fluid retention
- Painful periods that are relieved by warmth and pressure
- Dull abdominal pain and distension with downward draggingsensation
- Lower back pain, worse following menstruation or when tired
- Exhaustion after period with extremely pale complexion
- Prolonged bleeding (5-7 days)
- Premenstrual breast swelling and tenderness
For women who experience these symptoms they may find relief from other herbs such as Dong quai or Vitex agnus-castus
Vitex agnus-castus: Vitex agnus-castus, also known as chaste tree, is one of the most important herbs for regulating female hormones. Vitex may help with many of those symptoms of PMS, such as bloating, breast swelling and tenderness, irritability and depression. The herb helps to regulate irregular periods, tending to shorten a long cycle and lengthen a short one.
Dong quai: Dong quai has been traditionally used for regulating the menstrual cycle, and for absent or painful periods with abdominal pain.